Congratulations to members of the ARC Future Fibres Hub for being awarded the 2019 Deakin Vice Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to Industry and Employer Partnerships. The award was in recognition of the transformational impact Hub research has had on the fibre industry over it’s operations to date.
Some of these outcomes include:
- Two products launched by HeiQ: Real Silk (silk feel to other textiles, 2016) and No Fuzz (anti-pilling, 2017).
- Manufacturing facility established by HeiQ (in Geelong) to scale-up short polymer fibre production.
- Two products currently being transferred to manufacturing by Draggin Jeans.
- Translation towards clinical trials of first generation silk membranes for eardrum reconstruction with Ear Science Institute Australia.
- Two materials developed, validated, and now used by Carbon Revolution in manufacture of one-piece carbon fibre wheels.
- Improved understanding of the Qure process to manufacture carbon fibre composite parts, will lead to more durable method to be adopted by Quickstep.
- Patents – 6 have been filed over the life of the Hub, and over 15 new products or processes have been developed.
- Development of industry-ready staff and PhD graduates. To date at least 2 Hub researchers have been employed by partners, or related companies.
- Contributed to growth of the fibre manufacturing industry and creation of jobs.
Hub members attended the Awards Ceremony in Melbourne in November to receive the award and celebrate our success. Congratulations to all Hub members!